Witzenhausen-Institut für Abfall, Umwelt und Energie GmbH
Raussen, Thomas – Projektleiter
Dr. Felix Richter – Direkter Ansprechpartner / Projektkoordinator
Telefon: +49-(0) 5542-9380-25
The overall project deals with the so far insufficient exploitation of the potential of herbaceous green waste for high-quality multiple use as biogas substrate (energetic) and compost from fermentation residues (material). New collection systems will be tested and value chains will be optimized.
The central objectives of GreenSelect are:
1. Estimation of potential: Estimation of the quantity potential of herbaceous green waste in Germany as well as the proportion that can be collected in a fresh, i.e. fermentable state.
2. Analysis of legal framework: Documentation and evaluation of the currently binding legal framework in Germany for the collection, processing and recycling of herbaceous green waste.
3. Testing of selective collection systems for herbaceous green waste: Together with practice partners, four different collection systems will be tested in model experiments:
4. Testing of ensiling techniques for herbaceous green waste: Together with agricultural service providers (research institute), various ensiling techniques are being tested in model experiments:
5. Processing and utilisation in biogas fermentation plants: Together with operators of biogas fermentation plants, the processing and utilisation of differently ensilaged herbaceous green waste is tested in practice.
6. Value chains: Development of one or several model value chains for a comprehensive recycling concept for herbaceous green waste.
7. Evaluation with regard to economy, climate, resources: A comprehensive economic assessment is carried out for all developed value chains. Similarly, the different value chains are evaluated with regard to their relevance in terms of greenhouse gas savings, energy generation and resource savings.
8. Recommendations for practice: Based on the findings, practical solutions and differentiated recommendations for the optimised use of herbaceous green waste will be developed.